Packed with the nutrition and flavor power of tomatoes, you can whip up this 100% plant-based (vegan), gluten-free hummus recipe in seconds—relying mostly on shelf-stable, economical staples, such as canned tomatoes and chickpeas.
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed, drained well
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained well
- ¼ cup pine nuts (additional for garnish)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt, as desired (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- To prepare hummus, place drained chickpeas, drained tomatoes, pine nuts, lemon juice, olive oil, tahini, paprika, and red pepper flakes in the container of a food processor or blender.
- Process until smooth and creamy, pausing to scrape down sides if necessary. Should make a thick, creamy consistency. Adjust seasonings with salt, if desired.
- Pour hummus into a serving dish and garnish with chopped fresh basil, pine nuts, a swirl of balsamic vinegar, and a swirl of olive oil.
- Makes about 2 cups hummus (8 – ¼ cup servings).