This Chipotle Tomato Rice Power Bowl calls upon a great foundation of zesty tomato rice, then builds upon it with Latin-inspired toppings, such as greens, black beans, corn, avocados, pumpkin seeds, and tomatoes.
Chipotle Tomato Rice:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ cups medium grain brown rice, uncooked
- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- 1 vegetable broth bullion cube
- ½ teaspoon chipotle powder or seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn, thawed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small avocado, sliced into 8 slices
- 1 bell pepper (orange, yellow, red, or green), thinly sliced
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup vegan ranch dressing (may choose Southwest or Chipotle flavor)*
To make Chipotle Tomato Rice:
- Place olive oil in a medium pot and heat.
- Sauté onion and garlic in oil for 9 minutes.
- Add brown rice and toast it for 2 minutes, stirring.
- Add crushed tomatoes, water, bullion cube, chipotle seasoning, and salt (optional).
- Stir well, cover with a lid, and bring to a simmer. Cook over medium heat about 1 hour, until liquid is absorbed and grains are tender. May add additional water to replace water lost to evaporation as needed.
To make Chipotle Tomato Rice Power Bowls:
- Place one-fourth of the rice (a scant 1 cup each) into 4 individual serving bowls (or meal prep containers). Note: May serve rice hot, warm, or chilled in this recipe, as desired.
- Top each bowl of rice with: ½ cup chopped kale; 1/3 cup black beans; ¼ cup corn; ¼ cup cherry tomatoes; 2 slices avocado; ¼ bell pepper; 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds; 2 tablespoons vegan ranch dressing.
- Serve immediately.