Filled with vegetables, including leeks, carrots, celery, and zucchini, with a flavorful tomato-curry vegetable broth, this 10-ingredient soup is based on refrigerator and pantry staples, so it’s easy to make up on a busy night. You can swap out leeks for white, yellow, or red onions, and substitute a different vegetable for zucchini, such as peas, spinach, or broccoli. You can also use frozen vegetables to save time and money when produce is less available.
While the soup is simmering, you can get the rest of your meal ready, and have dinner on the table in about 40 minutes. The leftovers are equally good. Just pack up the soup for lunch the next day, or enjoy it the second day with a different entree. Soups are a great way to fit more veggies into your day, so I’m a big fan of including these delicious recipes in your diet each week. Studies even show that eating soup before your meals can fill you up and reduce your calorie intake for the meal. So, make sure “soups on” in your house today!
- 4 cups water
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 medium, leek, chopped (green and white parts)
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 medium zucchinis, sliced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped (1 teaspoon dried)
- Optional: Pinch kosher salt
- Place all ingredients together into a large pot. Stir well, cover, and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 40 minutes, until vegetables are tender. May replace water lost in evaporation.
InstantPot Directions: Place all ingredients in the container of the InstantPot. Press “Soup” setting. Cook according to manufacturer’s directions. Serve immediately.
Slowcooker Directions: Place all ingredients in the container of the Slowcooker. Cook on high for 4-6 hours or on low for 8-12 hours. Cook according to manufacturer’s directions. Serve immediately.