Put the power of a zesty tomato rice to work in this delicious, fiesta Chipotle Tomato Rice Power Bowl, filled with piquant flavors, such as chipotle, kale, black beans, avocados, sweet corn, cilantro, and an herbal dressing. This meal-in-a-bowl is great for meal prepping for the week, packing away in lunchboxes, or creating build-your-own dinners for the whole family.
- Chipotle Tomato Rice:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ cups medium grain brown rice, uncooked
- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- 1 vegetable broth bullion cube
- ½ teaspoon chipotle powder or seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn, thawed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small avocado, sliced into 8 slices
- 1 bell pepper (orange, yellow, red, or green), thinly sliced
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup vegan ranch dressing (may choose Southwest or Chipotle flavor)*
To make Chipotle Tomato Rice:
- Place olive oil in a medium pot and heat.
- Sauté onion and garlic in oil for 9 minutes.
- Add brown rice and toast it for 2 minutes, stirring.
- Add crushed tomatoes, water, bullion cube, chipotle seasoning, and salt (optional).
- Stir well, cover with a lid, and bring to a simmer. Cook over medium heat about 1 hour, until liquid is absorbed and grains are tender. May add additional water to replace water lost to evaporation as needed.
To make Chipotle Tomato Rice Power Bowls:
- Place one-fourth of the rice (a scant 1 cup each) into 4 individual serving bowls (or meal prep containers). Note: May serve rice hot, warm, or chilled in this recipe, as desired.
- Top each bowl of rice with: ½ cup chopped kale; 1/3 cup black beans; ¼ cup corn; ¼ cup cherry tomatoes; 2 slices avocado; ¼ bell pepper; 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds; 2 tablespoons vegan ranch dressing.
- Serve immediately.