This lighter version of a classic favorite Philly Cheese Steak sandwich will help keep Dad healthy, while also keeping his taste buds more than satisfied. Plus, this recipe is full of cancer-fighting lycopene thanks to the canned tomato products! You can have this sandwich on its own, or pair it with your favorite salad and side dish for a filling, nutritious dinner everyone is sure to love!
Canned tomatoes are so much more than convenient pantry staples. They also provide the cancer fighting compound called lycopene! In fact, more than 1.3 million men are diagnosed with prostate cancer each year, and numerous studies suggest that lycopene has cancer-fighting properties. Lycopene can be found in tomato products, which contain anti-carcinogenic compounds, such as vitamin A, vitamin C, and fiber. With early detection and higher intake of fruits and vegetables, prostate cancer can be reduced. Thus, it’s important to ensure that you are eating healthy, well-balanced meals and staying active on a daily basis. You can increase lycopene in your diet by adding canned tomatoes into your favorite meals, such as pizza, stir fries, or even smoothies to boost those benefits! So go ahead, try out this Philly cheese steak sandwich and reap the health benefits it provides!
Philly Cheese Steak Smothered in Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. Lean skirt steak, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 2 oz portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 15-oz can tomato sauce, no salt added
- Ground black pepper, as desired
- ¼ tsp oregano
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese, part skim
- 4 whole grain rolls (hoagie or submarine), split
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet or sauté pan.
- Place sliced steak into the pan and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add garlic and onions, cooking for 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and peppers and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, black pepper and oregano and bring to simmer. Cook until vegetables and meat are very tender.
- Arrange meat, vegetables and sauce over split roll and top with 1 oz of mozzarella cheese.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 597Total Fat: 33gSodium: 531mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 6gProtein: 36g
If you’re looking for other delicious recipes that your dad you will love, check out some of our favorites:
Easy Chicken Curry
Swiss Chard Pecan Lasagna
Black Bean Corn Chili