Tomato Avocado Corn Salsa
Growing up in the South, corn and tomatoes were frequently served together in several of my mom’s recipes. She would serve this tasty veggie combo in soups, stews, and casseroles. To pay tribute to my Southern roots, I put a new spin on the traditional salsa recipe, which you can serve over your favorite protein or with tortilla or pita chips.
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup whole kernel yellow corn, drained
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded, chopped
- ½ cup red onion, diced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Salt to taste (optional)
1. In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, corn, avocado, onion, cilantro, lime juice, ground cumin, garlic powder, black pepper, and salt, if using.
2. Toss to combine, and serve with tortilla chips, tortillas, or your favorite protein, as desired.
This recipe can be prepared up to one hour in advance. Cover tightly and stir gently before serving. Use no salt added canned tomatoes to further reduce sodium levels.
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 118Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 309mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 5gSugar: 67gProtein: 2g
Recipe by Andrea Mathis, Registered Dietitian Nutritionist and Owner of Beautiful Eats & Things. Author of The Complete Book of Smoothies.
Print recipe PDF