- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 ounces mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 8 onces 99% lean ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 ¼ cups pizza sauce
- Dash black pepper
- 8 whole-wheat English muffins (16 halves)
- 1 cup low-fat shredded mozzarella cheese
1. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes.
2. Add mushrooms, soy sauce, and balsamic vinegar and sauté for 2 minutes.
3. Add ground turkey. Cook over medium heat until no longer pink, about 7 minutes, using a spatula to break apart. Stir in Italian seasoning.
4. Add pizza sauce and black pepper and mix over low heat for 3 minutes.
5. Preheat often to 400°F.
6. Separate whole English muffins into 16 halves, place on a baking sheet, and toast for 2 minutes.
7. Top each muffin half with about 3 tablespoons of the pizza sauce mixture, and 1 tablespoon shredded cheese.
8. Place in the oven and cook for 5 minutes, until cheese melts.
Serving Size:2 English muffin pizza halves each
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 259Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 29mgSodium: 435mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 5gSugar: 7gProtein: 16g
Recipe by Melissa Halas, MA, RDN, CDE, author of the Super Crew kids’ book series, and founder of SuperKidsNutrition.com, the first kids’ nutrition mega website created in 2006.
Print recipe PDF