- 8 ounces 99% lean ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 quarts chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup canned corn kernels, rinsed and drained (or freshly cooked or frozen)
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced onion
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons water
1. Spray a sauté pan or skillet with nonstick cooking spray and heat on medium-high heat. Add turkey and cook undisturbed for 5 minutes, then break up with a spatula or wooden spoon and continue to cook until no longer pink.
2. Drain the extra liquid, add taco seasoning, and 1/3 cup water. Stir while cooking, until water is absorbed. Remove from heat. Set aside.
3. While turkey is cooking, prepare the dressing in a medium bowl by whisking together the tomato paste, red wine vinegar, olive oil, onion, honey, paprika, and 2 tablespoons water until well combined. Add more water, if needed, to achieve desired consistency. Set aside.
4. In a large serving bowl or platter, add lettuce, and top with corn and beans.
5. Arrange cooked ground turkey on the greens. Top with avocado, shredded cheese, and cilantro. Drizzle dressing on top of the salad.
Top the salad with tortilla chips for extra crunch.
Serving Size:2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 343Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 626mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 10gSugar: 8gProtein: 30g
Recipe by Lauren Harris-Pincus MS, RDN, owner of Nutrition Starring YOU, a practice in New Jersey specializing in weight management and prediabetes. She is also the author of The Everything Easy Pre-Diabetes Cookbook and The Protein-Packed Breakfast Club.
Print recipe PDF