- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast tenders, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 ½ cups finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon chili flakes (optional, for added heat)
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped (optional)
1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken pieces in a single layer, and fry for 3-5 minutes, turning the pieces over 1-2 times until they are white. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
2. Add the remaining oil and chopped onion, and stir fry for 5-6 minutes, until the onions are light brown. Add garlic and ginger, and cook for about one minute.
3. Stir in chicken with juices. Sprinkle with turmeric, coriander powder, garam masala, black pepper, salt, and chili flakes, if using. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes to coat spices and onions.
4. In a bowl, whisk together yogurt, canned diced tomatoes with liquid, and tomato paste. Add to the chicken, and stir to coat well.
5. Pour the water evenly over the chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover with a lid, and simmer for about 20 minutes. Chicken should be tender to the touch but should not fall apart.
6. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro, if using.
Serve with brown basmati rice or whole wheat naan flatbread.
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 220Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 82mgSodium: 286mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 27g