Canned tomatoes in the kitchen
The end of summer is not the end of tomato season. Canned tomatoes ensure that you can enjoy all of those wonderful tomato recipes (and health benefits) year round!
Tomatoes are a versatile produce item that many people have in their kitchens. And for good reason! Tomatoes are teeming with health benefits (since they provide antioxidants in the form of lycopene, beta-carotene, and vitamin C) which can help reduce the risk of heart disease and cancer. They are also great to use in a variety of meals and snacks!
While fresh tomatoes may be available year-round, they are only in season during the summer months. So, if you’re looking to get that fresh summer tomato flavor all year ’round, canned tomatoes are a fantastic option! Canned and jarred tomatoes are harvested at their flavor and nutrition peak and canned within just a few hours. Plus, they are quite affordable, meaning that this is a budget-friendly, easy, and convenient option for you and your family.
In addition to the affordability of canned tomatoes, they are rich in vitamins and minerals your body needs to function properly and can help boost energy and reduce the risk of certain diseases. In fact, studies have shown that canned tomatoes are even more nutrient-rich and environmentally-friendly than fresh tomatoes. And, as people continue to cook from the comfort of their own homes, canned tomatoes have grown in popularity thanks to their ease of use, high nutrition content, and a variety of forms (like tomato sauce, tomato paste, marinara sauce, salsa, and diced, stewed and whole tomatoes).
While you can used canned tomatoes in soups and chilis, here are some other ideas of how to use them in the kitchen.
1. Make salsa. During the summer months, it’s usually fresh tomatoes that find their way into salsas. As the seasons change, they may not be available (or might be too expensive). Luckily, canned tomatoes work just as well, are less expensive, and offer more health benefits! Check out this recipe for a delicious homemade salsa.
2. Homemade marinara. Skip the store bought options and make your own! A homemade sauce will be lower in sodium and a lot more flavorful. The best part is that you can adjust seasonings to fit your personal taste!
3. Add some variety to your dips. The addition of tomatoes can make an ordinary dip extraordinary. We love the unexpected flavor combination in this Tomato Pesto Hummus.
4. Add it to a quiche. Fresh tomatoes are delicious sliced on top of a quiche, but you can achieve the same flavor using canned tomatoes. Try out this quiche recipe for your next brunch.
5. Use it when cooking grains. Substitute diced tomatoes (along with the juice) for water when cooking rice or quinoa. It will add flavor and nutritional value.
What are your favorite ways to use canned tomatoes in the kitchen? Let us know!