by Tomato Wellness | Oct 12, 2016 | Recipes
Skillet Ravioli Lasagna
Refrigerated ravioli offers a fun twist to classic lasagna that’s ready in 1/3 the time—no need to pre-boil pasta or bake for an hour. Truly a simple one-pan recipe for weeknight comfort food your family will love. Recipe courtesy of Del Monte Foods.
1¼ lbs. lean ground beef
½ cup diced onion
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. black pepper
1 can (14.5oz.) diced tomatoes, not drained
1 can (6oz.) tomato paste
1 tsp. sugar
20 oz. refrigerated cheese ravioli, uncooked
1 can (14.5oz.) cut green beans, drained
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, 12 oz.
- BROWN BEEF WITH ONION, GARLIC, SALT AND PEPPER IN A 3-INCH DEEP 10-INCH SKILLET OR DUTCH OVEN. SPREAD MEAT EVENLY IN PAN; REMOVE FROM HEAT.
- STIR TOGETHER DICED TOMATOES, TOMATO PASTE, 2 CUPS WATER AND SUGAR IN A MEDIUM BOWL.
- ARRANGE HALF OF RAVIOLI EVENLY OVER MEAT. TOP WITH HALF OF SAUCE. LAYER ALL GREEN BEANS, HALF OF MOZZARELLA AND THEN REMAINING RAVIOLI, SAUCE AND MOZZARELLA.
- COVER AND BRING TO A SIMMER OVER MEDIUM HEAT. REDUCE HEAT AND SIMMER GENTLY 15 MINUTES. REMOVE FROM HEAT; LET STAND 10 MINUTES. CUT INTO WEDGES AND SERVE.
VARIATION: To make Extreme Cheese Ravioli Lasagna, prepare recipe as directed, except dollop 1 cup ricotta cheese by heaping Tbsp., over lasagna after first 10 minutes of simmer time in Step 4. Cover and simmer remaining 5 minutes.
by Tomato Wellness | Oct 5, 2016 | Recipes
Mediterranean Beef with Mixed Olives and Feta
MEDITERRANEAN BEEF WITH MIXED OLIVES AND FETA
A flavorful twist on beef stew with the help of your slow cooker. Recipe courtesy of Beef – It’s What’s for Dinner.
- 2 POUNDS BEEF STEW MEAT, CUT INTO 1/2 TO 3/4-INCH PIECES
- 2 CANS (14-1/2 TO 15 OUNCES EACH) CHILI-SEASONED DICED TOMATOES, UNDRAINED
- 1 CUP ASSORTED OLIVES, PITTED, CUT IN HALF
- 1/2 TEASPOON SALT
- 1/4 TEASPOON BLACK PEPPER
- COOKED BASMATI RICE
- 1/2 CUP CRUMBLED FETA CHEESE
Place beef, tomatoes and olives in 3-1/2 to 5-1/2-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH 5 to 6 hours or on LOW 8 to 9 hours or until beef is fork-tender. (No stirring is necessary during cooking.) Season with salt and pepper. Serve over rice, as desired. Sprinkle with cheese.
- TOTAL RECIPE TIME: HIGH 5 TO 6 HOURS OR ON LOW 8 TO 9 HOURS
- MAKES 4 TO 6 SERVINGS
by Tomato Wellness | Oct 3, 2016 | Recipes
Spicy diced tomatoes with green chilies and lots of cheese are cooked and blended until cheese is melted for a quick, crowd-pleasing dip. Recipe courtesy of Red Gold Tomatoes.
1 pound lean ground beef
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (16 ounce) box mild Mexican processed cheese, cut into cubes
1 (15 ounce) can chili hot beans, drained
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 (10 ounce) cans of Petite Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies
- IN A LARGE SKILLET, BROWN GROUND BEEF AND GARLIC UNTIL BEEF IS THOROUGHLY COOKED, DRAIN WELL.
- ADD PROCESSED CHEESE, BEANS AND ONION; STIR TO COMBINE. HEAT MIXTURE UNTIL HOT AND CHEESE IS MELTED. BEFORE SERVING ADD CHEDDAR CHEESE AND PETITE DICED TOMATOES; STIR TO COMBINE.
- OPTION: SERVE WITH PITA CHIPS OR VEGGIES OF YOUR CHOICE
by Tomato Wellness | Sep 21, 2016 | Media Recipe
Red Beans, Spinach and Beef
Download High Resolution Image
Red beans over rice are a Southern favorite, and here, some ground beef and spinach are added as well. Finely chopping the spinach adds the extra nutritional value of green vegetables without changing the customary ﬂavor of the dish. Recipe courtesy of Center for Ecoliteracy.
- 1 TABLESPOON EXTRA-VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
- ½ ONION, DICED
- 1 POUND LEAN GROUND BEEF
- 1 BUNCH SPINACH, STEMMED AND FINELY CHOPPED
- 1 – 1 ½ CUPS CANNED CHOPPED TOMATOES AND THEIR JUICES
- 1 TEASPOON KOSHER OR SEA SALT
- ½ TEASPOON FRESHLY GROUND PEPPER
- ¼ TEASPOON CHILI POWDER
- 1 16-OUNCE CANS RED BEANS, DRAINED
- IN A LARGE FRYING PAN, OVER MEDIUM-HIGH HEAT, HEAT THE OLIVE OIL.
- WHEN THE OIL IS HOT, ADD THE ONIONS AND SAUTÉ UNTIL TRANSLUCENT, ABOUT 2 MINUTES.
- ADD THE BEEF, AND COOK UNTIL OPAQUE, ABOUT 6 MINUTES, STIRRING TO CRUMBLE THE MEAT.
- ADD THE SPINACH, AND COOK, TURNING, UNTIL WILTED, ABOUT 1 MINUTE.
- ADD 1 CUP OF THE TOMATOES AND THEIR JUICE, THE SALT, PEPPER, AND CHILI POWDER. REDUCE THE HEAT TO LOW AND COVER.
- SIMMER TO ALLOW THE FLAVORS TO BLEND, ABOUT 10 MINUTES.
- ADD THE REMAINING TOMATOES AND STIR IN THE BEANS, COVER, AND COOK ANOTHER 5 MINUTES. SERVE WITH RICE. SERVES 4.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING: 446 calories, 21g fat, 7g saturated fat, 1g trans fat, 76 mg cholesterol, 1000 mg sodium, 1413 mg potassium, 32g carbohydrates, 13g fiber, 2g sugars, 34g protein (USDA)
by Tomato Wellness | Aug 8, 2016 | Recipes
Red, White & Basil Burger
Get in the USA Olympic spirit with this Red, White and Basil Burger. This unique burger takes the reserved juice from the the Basil, Garlic and Oregano diced tomatoes to make a delicious balsamic glaze for this burger. Serve the burger on Ciabatta bread with a slice of fresh mozzarella cheese, Roma tomatoes and fresh basil leaf. Recipe courtesy of Red Gold Tomatoes – Red, White & Basil Burger
2 pounds lean ground beef
2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with Basil, Garlic & Oregano, drained, reserve juice
1 cup cubed mozzarella cheese
3/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
Salt and black pepper to taste
4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons Italian flavored olive oil
8 Ciabatta bread, or buns of choice
8 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
3 roma tomatoes, sliced
8 fresh basil leaves
- IN A MIXING BOWL COMBINE GROUND BEEF, DICED TOMATOES, CHOPPED BASIL, BREADCRUMBS, SALT AND BLACK PEPPER. FORM INTO 8 PATTIES AND STUFF EACH PATTY WITH CUBED MOZZARELLA CHEESE; GRILL TO DESIRED DONENESS OVER MEDIUM HIGH HEAT.
- COMBINE RESERVED TOMATO JUICE, VINEGAR, GARLIC, SALT AND BLACK PEPPER IN A SAUCEPAN. COOK ON MEDIUM HIGH HEAT TO REDUCE THE MIXTURE UNTIL THICK, ABOUT 20 MINUTES.
- BRUSH THE BREAD WITH OIL AND TOAST ON THE GRILL. PLACE BURGERS ON BOTTOM BUNS, TOP WITH 1 CHEESE SLICES, 3 TOMATOES SLICES, 1 BASIL LEAF AND 1 TABLESPOON OF THE REDUCED TOMATO MIXTURE; TOP WITH BUN.