- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 2 quarts water
- 2 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Salt, to taste (optional)
1. Sort and rinse beans; place in a large Dutch oven or pot. Cover with water and soak overnight.
2. Drain beans and return to Dutch oven or pot. Add 2 quarts fresh water. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and simmer 2 hours or until beans are tender. Drain beans and return to the Dutch oven or pot.
3. Add remaining ingredients to beans, stirring well. Transfer to a large casserole dish. Cover and bake at 350ºF for 1 hour.
This is a healthier, lower-sugar version of Southern-style baked beans, however if you want a more classic version, you may increase brown sugar to ¼ cup and molasses to 2 tablespoons.
Serving Size:¾ cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 171Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 234mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 19gSugar: 9gProtein: 13g
Recipe by Regan Jones, RDN, a nationally-known, award-winning registered dietitian nutritionist and certified personal trainer. She is the Creator and Host of This Unmillennial Life, an iTunes Top 25 Personal Journal podcast and food blog for women who’ve fallen into a generational gap.
Print recipe PDF