- Chermoula Marinade:
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- ½ -1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 (6 ounce each) chicken thighs, raw, skin-on, bone-in, trimmed of excess fat
1. In a mixing bowl, combine cilantro, parsley, orange and lemon zest, and juice, tomatoes, garlic, red onion, red wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon oil, paprika, cayenne pepper, cumin, and pepper.
2. Rub half of the marinade onto chicken thighs (reserving the rest). For deeper flavor, allow to marinate for 1 hour before cooking.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in skillet on medium high heat. Add chicken thighs, discarding used marinade. Allow to cook for 6 minutes, turn to other side, and cook for 6 more minutes, or until the internal temperature is 165°F.
4. Remove from heat and top with remaining chermoula sauce. Serve immediately.
Zest orange and lemon using a grater to remove just the thin orange and yellow layer of the fruit. Juice by cutting fruit in half and squeezing by hand or using a juicing tool. Remove skin from chicken to lower saturated fat.
Serving Size:6 oz chicken thigh
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 335Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 178mgSodium: 194mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 39g
Recipe by Ashley Carter, RD, LD, co-founder of EatWell Exchange, an organization focused on nutrition education with a focus on culture.
Print recipe PDF