- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (12-ounce) bag frozen okra, thawed
- 2 (14.5 ounce) can fire roasted diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 (15-ounce) can of sweet corn, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons thyme
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot on medium-high heat.
2. Add onion and garlic, and cook until onions are transparent in appearance, about 3 minutes.
3. Add chopped bell pepper, and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
4. Add okra, fire roasted diced tomatoes, corn, garlic powder and thyme. Stir well.
5. Cover the pot, and simmer over medium-low heat for 25 minutes.
This dish pairs well with brown rice or cornbread.
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 66Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 353mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 2g
Recipe by Jasmine Westbrooks, Registered Dietitian and Certified Diabetes Educator residing in Raleigh, North Carolina.
Print recipe PDF