Roasted Tomatoes with Okra
Are you ready for a delicious spin on tomato and okra stew? This fire roasted tomato and okra stew recipe is packed with nutrition, and also brings up fond memories of my family, when my grandmother would cook this for me during the cold winter season in Memphis.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (12-ounce) bag frozen okra, thawed
- 2 (14.5 ounce) can fire roasted diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 (15-ounce) can of sweet corn, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons thyme
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot on medium-high heat.
2. Add onion and garlic, and cook until onions are transparent in appearance, about 3 minutes.
3. Add chopped bell pepper, and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
4. Add okra, fire roasted diced tomatoes, corn, garlic powder and thyme. Stir well.
5. Cover the pot, and simmer over medium-low heat for 25 minutes.
This dish pairs well with brown rice or cornbread.
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 66Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 353mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 2g
Recipe by Jasmine Westbrooks, Registered Dietitian and Certified Diabetes Educator residing in Raleigh, North Carolina.
Print recipe PDF