- 8 small (4 ½-inch) corn tortillas
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 8 large eggs
- ½ cup canned refried beans
- 2 cups red tomato salsa
- ½ cup crumbled cotija cheese (or feta)
- Toppings (optional):
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Chopped avocado
- Chopped jalapeño
1. Heat a large skillet to medium heat, add tortillas in single layer and cook until warm and slightly toasted on each side (about 2 minutes). Remove and cover to keep warm.
2. Heat oil in the large skillet. Crack each egg into the skillet carefully, without breaking yolks. Fry eggs until the whites are set and the yolk is cooked.
3. Heat refried beans and salsa on the stovetop or microwave and cover to keep warm.
4. To serve, spread 1 tablespoon of beans on each tortilla, top with one cooked egg, ½ cup of tomato salsa, and top with 1 tablespoon cojita cheese (or feta). May sprinkle with additional optional toppings as desired, such as chopped fresh cilantro, avocado or jalapeño.
Serving Size:2 tortillas with 2 eggs each
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 368Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 382mgSodium: 633mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 5gSugar: 7gProtein: 18g
Recipe by Karina Knight, MBA, MS, RD, a Mexican-American dietitian based in Sacramento, California.
Print recipe PDF