This easy casserole bake can be whipped together in minutes! Plus, this completely plant-based (vegan) Easy Mediterranean Artichoke Chickpea Bake is based on foods you can keep on hand in your pantry: spelt (an ancient form of wheat kernels), canned chickpeas, canned marinated artichokes, marinara sauce, and olives. It’s savory, hearty and a one-dish meal. And with only 8 ingredients (not including pantry staples), this healthy, no-oil, no-salt, no-sugar whole foods, plant-based recipe is a cinch to turn to on your busiest nights of the weeks.
With the Mediterranean flavors of chickpeas, ancient grains, artichokes, olives, tomatoes, and herbs, this recipe is powerful in flavor, and packed with important nutrients, such as plant protein, healthy fats, vitamins, minerals, fiber, and phytochemicals. Whip it up for a one-dish meal, and pack up the leftovers for work the next day. You can swap out the ingredients easily, too—try quinoa instead of spelt (which makes this recipe gluten-free), white beans instead of chickpeas, and green beans instead of peas, for example.
- 1 ½ cups cooked spelt (according to package directions)
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas (garbanzos), drained
- 1 12-ounce jar marinated artichokes, drained
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ cup olives, drained (i.e. Spanish, Kalamata)
- ½ cup marinara sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Pinch black pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Mix all ingredients together and place in a medium casserole dish.
- Place in oven, on top rack, uncovered, and bake for about 30 – 35 minutes, until golden brown and heated through.