The most decadent tasting, yet lower in calories, Homemade Mac N Cheese You’ll Ever Make! Macaroni Pasta blended with Italian Blend Cheese, then Melted Into A Warm Cream Sauce with tomatoes, bacon, and blue cheese.
Mac and cheese is no longer only for the under 16 crowd. You’ll find variations of this classic dish on menus everywhere. While those menu options might sound gourmet and difficult to make at home, this does not need to be the case.
I am really excited to share with you my newest recipe: Blue Cheese Mac and Cheese with Bacon.
It sounds decadent, but with a few simple swaps, we keep calories and fat in line while adding a pop of color and nutrition boost with the addition of tomatoes.
Blue Cheese Mac and Cheese with Bacon
A savory Blue Cheese Mac and Cheese with Bacon recipe loaded with cheese, perfect for dinner or entertaining guests.
- 8 oz. elbow macaroni
- 3 cups 1% milk
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes drained
- 1 cup shredded Italian blend cheese
- 4 oz. blue cheese crumbled
- 1/4 cup bacon bits
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. dry ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- Cook elbow macaroni per box instructions, drain.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Whisk flour into butter, adding a little at a time.
- Slowly pour milk into flour mixture, small amounts at a time, whisking until thickened before adding more. This step can take up to 15 minutes.
- Add spices, then whisk in Italian cheese.
- Stir in bacon, then elbow macaroni. Blend well.
- Gently fold in canned tomatoes and blue cheese crumbles.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to a week.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 257Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 646mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 13g