Whole Wheat Spaghetti & Tomato Sauce
Nothing says “classic family dinner” quite like spaghetti. This ultimate crowd-pleasing meal is guaranteed to put a smile on all family members’ faces – while sneaking in some nutrition, too! Serving your homemade tomato sauce over whole wheat noodles is another easy way to boost the meal’s nutritional profile. This particular recipe makes a large batch, but the extra sauce holds 1 week in the refrigerator or up to 6 months in the freezer – and can be used as needed.
- TOMATO SAUCE
- 2 TABLESPOONS OLIVE OIL
- 1 SMALL YELLOW ONION, CHOPPED
- 1 MEDIUM RED BELL PEPPER, CHOPPED
- WHOLE WHEAT SPAGHETTI, COOKED ACCORDING TO PACKAGE DIRECTIONS
- 3 CLOVES GARLIC, FINELY MINCED
- 1 TEASPOON RED PEPPER FLAKES
- ⅓ CUP RED WINE
- 2 LARGE CANS (28OZ) CRUSHED TOMATOES
- 3 OZ TOMATO PASTE
- 1 TEASPOON SEA SALT
- FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER, ABOUT 10-12 TURNS
- ¼ CUP FRESH BASIL, CHOPPED
- HEAT OLIVE OIL IN A LARGE POT OVER MEDIUM HEAT. ADD ONION AND SAUTÉ FOR ABOUT 3 – 4 MINUTES, OR UNTIL ONION BEGINS TO BE TRANSLUCENT. ADD GARLIC, RED BELL PEPPER AND RED PEPPER FLAKES AND CONTINUE TO SAUTÉ FOR ANOTHER 2 – 3 MINUTES. ADD WINE AND SIMMER UNTIL WINE IS REDUCED BY HALF.
- WHILE VEGETABLES ARE COOKING, OPEN CANS OF TOMATOES AND TOMATOES PASTE. ADD TO POT AND STIR. ADD SALT AND BLACK PEPPER. TURN HEAT TO LOW AND COOK, STIRRING OCCASIONALLY, FOR AT LEAST AN HOUR.
- SERVE HOT ON COOKED SPAGHETTI. GARNISH WITH BASIL LEAVES AND CHEESE, IF USING.