So easy, and yet so elegant. This recipe for Mediterranean Baked Fish allows your taste buds to travel the world, from the comfort of your own kitchen! #KitchenTravel
Your taste buds will be swimming in happiness with this Mediterranean Baked Fish recipe. Thanks to simple ingredients and a fast cook time, you can get this quick and healthy dinner on the table for any night of the week.
The flavor of the fresh cod fillets mixes beautifully with the artichokes, canned tomatoes and kalamata olives, and the feta cheese crumbles on top helps complete the Mediterranean taste. For those whom follow the Mediterranean diet this will fulfill all the components; high protein from the cod fillet, and packed with vegetables and olive oil for a low carb nutritious meal!
The canned tomatoes marry all the flavors together wonderfully. Canned tomatoes are a real powerhouse ingredient. Adding the bright red color comes from the nutrient of lycopene. Lycopene is rich in antioxidants that have anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties, and has been proven to protect the body against many chronic diseases. Similar to most nutrients, it’s more natural to obtain lycopene from foods rather than supplements. In order to achieve maximum health benefits associated with lycopene, it is recommended to consume tomato products with a heart healthy fat, such as olive oil or avocado. That’s why we recommend enjoying lycopene and its health benefits through delicious foods such as this recipe. So, what are you waiting for? Enjoy some canned tomato products today!
- 1 ½ Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 (28 oz.) can chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup fresh chopped basil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 (4 oz.) cod filets
- ½ cup crumbled feta
- 1 (15 oz.) can artichoke hearts, drained
- 4 oz. kalamata olives
- 2 Tbsp. capers
- 1 lemon, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large oven-safe pan over medium heat. Add in the onion and garlic and saute until the onion turns translucent. Then mix in the canned chopped tomatoes and basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring the mixture to just a boil then remove it from the heat.
- Nestle the cod filets into the sauce and sprinkle the feta cheese on top. Add the artichokes into the sauce, in between the fish. Layer the lemon slices on top of the cod filets. Sprinkle the olives and capers on top.
- Transfer the pan into the oven and bake it for 15-25 minutes or until the cod is fully cooked. Enjoy!