If you’re looking for a rich, easy, creamy dip or spread, try out this flavorful and healthy Tomato Pesto Hummus. Packed with the nutrition and flavor power of tomatoes, you can whip up this 100% plant-based (vegan), gluten-free hummus recipe in seconds—relying mostly on shelf-stable, economical staples, such as canned tomatoes and chickpeas. With only 7 ingredients (not including pantry items and the garnish), this recipe only takes about 5 minutes to prepare. It’s so good, you’ll stop buying store-made hummus! Serve it with your next party vegetable platter, with whole grain pita bread or crackers, in a wrap, on top of a salad, as an accompaniment for veggie balls or falafels, or with toasted whole grain bread. It’s also great packed away in kids’ (or grownups’!) lunchboxes as a dip with fresh veggies. There are so many places this hummus will go! This Tomato Pesto Hummus recipe is a great way to showcase healthy chickpeas (rich in protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals) and disease-fighting tomatoes (packed with lycopene antioxidants).
Learn how to make Tomato Pesto Hummus in my easy recipe video.
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed, drained well
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained well
- ¼ cup pine nuts (additional for garnish)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt, as desired (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- To prepare hummus, place drained chickpeas, drained tomatoes, pine nuts, lemon juice, olive oil, tahini, paprika, and red pepper flakes in the container of a food processor or blender.
- Process until smooth and creamy, pausing to scrape down sides if necessary. Should make a thick, creamy consistency. Adjust seasonings with salt, if desired.
- Pour hummus into a serving dish and garnish with chopped fresh basil, pine nuts, a swirl of balsamic vinegar, and a swirl of olive oil.
- Makes about 2 cups hummus (8 – ¼ cup servings).