Tomato Pesto Hummus
If you’re looking for a rich, easy, creamy dip or spread, try out this flavorful and healthy Tomato Pesto Hummus. Packed with the nutrition and flavor power of tomatoes, you can whip up this 100% plant-based (vegan), gluten-free hummus recipe in seconds—relying mostly on shelf-stable, economical staples, such as canned tomatoes and chickpeas. With only 7 ingredients (not including pantry items and the garnish), this recipe only takes about 5 minutes to prepare. It’s so good, you’ll stop buying store-made hummus! Serve it with your next party vegetable platter, with whole grain pita bread or crackers, in a wrap, on top of a salad, as an accompaniment for veggie balls or falafels, or with toasted whole grain bread. It’s also great packed away in kids’ (or grownups’!) lunchboxes as a dip with fresh veggies. There are so many places this hummus will go! This Tomato Pesto Hummus recipe is a great way to showcase healthy chickpeas (rich in protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals) and disease-fighting tomatoes (packed with lycopene antioxidants).
Learn how to make Tomato Pesto Hummus in my easy recipe video.
Tomato Pesto Hummus
Packed with the nutrition and flavor power of tomatoes, you can whip up this 100% plant-based (vegan), gluten-free hummus recipe in seconds—relying mostly on shelf-stable, economical staples, such as canned tomatoes and chickpeas.
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed, drained well
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained well
- ¼ cup pine nuts (additional for garnish)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt, as desired (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- To prepare hummus, place drained chickpeas, drained tomatoes, pine nuts, lemon juice, olive oil, tahini, paprika, and red pepper flakes in the container of a food processor or blender.
- Process until smooth and creamy, pausing to scrape down sides if necessary. Should make a thick, creamy consistency. Adjust seasonings with salt, if desired.
- Pour hummus into a serving dish and garnish with chopped fresh basil, pine nuts, a swirl of balsamic vinegar, and a swirl of olive oil.
- Makes about 2 cups hummus (8 – ¼ cup servings).