Nothing soothes the soul more than a bowl of old-fashioned tomato soup. And it’s even better when you make it yourself. It’s so easy!
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 -14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Pinch sugar
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- Freshly ground black pepper and sea salt
- Heat olive oil in a medium heavy pot.
- Add onions and garlic and sauté over medium for 9 minutes.
- Stir in flour.
- Mix in tomatoes, broth, sugar, and thyme. Season with black pepper and salt to taste.
- Cover and simmer over medium for 40 minutes.
- Place small batches of soup into a blender container and blend until smooth, yet lumpy. Return to pot and reheat if necessary.
- Serve immediately.