This recipe for Spanish-Style Chicken in Tomato Sauce is teeming with flavor and nutrition! Filled with vegetables, canned tomatoes, and protein, this is one meal your family is sure to love. It’s also an RD-approved recipe from dietitian Toby Amidor!
Chicken thighs may be dark meat, but they can still be part of your healthy eating plan. Dark meat is high in healthy monounsaturated fat, and it’s usually more affordable than chicken breasts. Opt to purchase skinless dark meat or remove it yourself, as the skin is where most of the artery-clogging saturated fat is found.
In addition to the high protein content found in this Spanish-style chicken recipe, canned tomatoes also make an appearance! Not only do they provide bright color and flavor, but they are also an affordable and nutritious addition. Tomatoes are packed with lycopene, a cancer-fighting compound, as well as vitamin C, iron, and potassium. Plus, canned tomatoes actually have a higher lycopene content than fresh, as the cooking and canning process enhances the availability of the nutrient, making it easier for your body to absorb.
With such a powerful nutrition profile, you can feel good about serving this delectable meal to your family, and they will delight in the complex flavors. To make this meal extra special, serve with a simple side salad dressed with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- ½ Teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- ¼ cup halved and pitted green olives, for garnish (optional)
- 11/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and cut into ¼-inch strips
- 10 ounces white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- Season both sides of the chicken with 1⁄4 teaspoon of salt and ⅛ teaspoon of pepper.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil. When the oil is shimmering, add the chicken and cook for 3 minutes, flipping once, until both sides are browned. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- In the skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the onion and cook until translucent, 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Add the peppers and mushrooms, and cook for 5 minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and bring the mixture to a boil. Return the chicken to the skillet and toss to coat. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Add the remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon salt and remaining ⅛ teaspoon pepper, and stir to combine.
- Serve warm garnished with the parsley and olives, if desired, or freeze for later. To freeze, place cooled chicken with tomato sauce into a resealable container in the freezer for up to 7 months. To defrost, refrigerate overnight. Reheat in a large skillet over medium heat until heated through, about 12 minutes. Single-serve portions can be reheated in the microwave on high for 2 minutes.
Any color bell pepper works in this recipe. Swap out the green for red or yellow bell peppers, or use a combination. And for even more flavor, add ¼ cup olives and 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves to the dish.
Copyright Toby Amidor, The Easy 5-Ingredient Healthy: Simple Recipes to Make Healthy Eating Delicious, Rockridge Press, 2018
Photo by Hélène Dujardin
Serving Size:1 3/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 476 Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 8gSodium: 785mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 6gProtein: 30g
For other delicious recipes, check out some of our favorites: