Whip up these crispy baja fish tacos with tomato-cabbage slaw, avocado crema, and a healthy dose of salsa in no time! Ready in 30 minutes, this is the perfect light, delicious meal ideal for any night of the week. This dish couldn’t be easier and makes a great weeknight dinner that everyone is sure to love. You can feel good about feeding this meal to your family, as it’s full of lean protein from the fish, as well as fiber, vitamins, and minerals from canned tomatoes. These baja fish tacos are also budget-friendly, as canned tomatoes are a great affordable alternative to fresh tomatoes that still provide plenty of nutrients and pack in the same flavor punch.
This one-dish meal can also fit everyone’s food preferences, as you can build your taco just the way you like them. Want more slaw than crema? Easy! Interested in having less tortillas and more fish? Make this into a salad instead! You can also easily turn this recipe into a meal prep option; just make everything but the fish ahead of time, place into air-tight containers, and cook up the fish when you’re ready to eat. And, this recipe is the perfect highlight for your next party! Colorful, light, and delicious, it’s sure to please everyone at your table.
Ready for a flavor bomb? Learn how to make this recipe with our video here.
How do you enjoy your fish tacos? We would love to know! Tag us on Instagram so we can see your creations!
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces tilapia or flounder fillets
Tomato Cabbage Slaw:
- 1 cup red cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 cup canned fire-roasted tomatoes, diced, drained
- 1 lime, juiced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt, Greek
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 6 6-inch corn tortillas
- 3/4 cup prepared salsa
- To prepare crispy fish: in a small, shallow bowl, mix together the cornmeal, salt, chili powder, and garlic powder. Place beaten eggs in a second small shallow bowl.
- Slice the fish fillets into 2-inch strips (6 total strips, 2 ounces each). Dip fish strips into the beaten egg and then coat well with cornmeal mixture.
Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan or skillet over medium heat. Place coated fish fillet strips in the pan and cook until they are golden brown and flake easily with a fork (about 3 minutes on each side).
While cooking fish, prepare tomato cabbage slaw and avocado crema (see below).
- To prepare tomato cabbage slaw: toss together shredded cabbage, roasted tomatoes, and lime juice in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
To prepare avocado crema: blend yogurt, avocado, cilantro, garlic, and lime juice.
- To assemble tacos, briefly warm tortillas in a pan and then top each tortilla with: ¼ cup tomato-cabbage slaw, 1 fish strip, 2 tablespoons salsa, and 2 tablespoons avocado crema.
Recipe is written by Jaime Ruisi, a Portland Oregon-based nutritionist, where she advocates for a balanced lifestyle and body positivity.
Serving Size:2 tacos
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 541Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 156mgSodium: 679mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 11gSugar: 9gProtein: 35g
If you’re looking for other delicious recipes, check out some of our favorites: