Smoky BBQ Beans
The combination of beans and tomato sauce makes this recipe a nutrition superstar. It’s also downright delicious. Using this method to cook your beans allows you to sleep, work, or play while they simmer.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2Tablespoons dark molasses (or maple syrup because I never have molasses)
- 3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- Dash of Tabasco (or cayenne pepper, depending on how spicy you want them)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb. dried pinto beans, soaked overnight with bayleaf
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large saucepan. Add onions and garlic and sauté until golden. Add remaining ingredients, including beans and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer several hours covered.