Mushroom, Bean and Roasted Pepper Chili
Recipe from Mushroom Info This hearty chili is a pleasant surprise. Featuring finely chopped white button mushrooms, you’ll never guess this dish is meatless. Mushroom, Bean and Roasted Pepper Chili
- 2 T. margarine
- 3 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. white button mushrooms, finely and evenly chopped (this will take a few minutes; I slice, cube then finely chop)
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 8 oz. pkg. froz. Recipe Ready Chopped Green Peppers & Onion (or ½ c. sweet onion and ½ c. green pepper – chopped)
- 2 c. diced red cabbage, ½ inch squares (use only the tender leaves, not the thick ends)
- 2 c. stewed tomatoes plus liquid from can, blended in blender container till pureed and very smooth
- 2 extra-large sweet red roasted peppers, cut into ½ inch squares plus about ¼ c. liquid from can
- 40 oz. can light red kidney beans plus bean liquid from can (dark red kidney beans add too much texture)
- 15. 5 oz. can pinto beans plus liquid from can
- 1 t. additional garlic powder
- 1 t. onion powder
- 1 t. cumin powder
- 1 t. mild curry powder
- 1 t. Hungarian paprika (I used mild)
- ¼ t. red cayenne pepper
- ¼ t. dried oregano
- 2 t. light brown sugar
- 2 t. liquid smoke
- 2 t. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 t. additional salt freshly ground black pepper to taste
- spinach tortillas, cut into 5 x ¼ inch strips, to be used as garnish (about 5 strips per serving)
- extra virgin olive oil additional black pepper
- In soup pot, over medium heat, melt margarine with olive oil. Add finely chopped mushrooms, salt, garlic powder and frozen chopped peppers and onion (or the fresh). Stir and cook till water releases from the mushrooms.
- Add red cabbage. Stir and cook till cabbage pales in color.
- Add pureed stewed tomatoes, roasted peppers plus ¼ c. liquid, kidney and pinto beans, stirring after each addition.
- Add next 12 ingredients, up to and including freshly ground black pepper to taste, again stirring after each addition. Cover and cook on medium-low heat, or at a fizzle of a boil, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove cover, then cook 30 minutes longer, stirring occasionally, till beans lightly thicken broth, and flavors mute and meld. Turn heat off till ready to reheat and serve.
- To serve:
- Reheat chili and adjust for salt. Ladle into soup bowls. Wrap spinach tortilla strips around fingers, then place decoratively on top of chili. Drizzle each serving with a little extra virgin olive oil; sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper and serve.