My family gave this dish the thumbs-up for its flavor! And I love this meal because it’s loaded with the antioxidants power of tomatoes. Best of all, it’s a cinch to make! Nutritional analysis per serving (without Parmesan cheese): Calories: 234 Fat: 4g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 471mg Carbohydrates: 44.5g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 3g Protein: 6g Vitamin A: 5% Vitamin C: 136% Calcium: 8% Iron: 21%
- 1 cup polenta, dry
- 4 cups water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons capers, drained
- ¼ cup Mediterranean olives, whole
- 1½ teaspoons oregano, dried
- Black pepper, as desired
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, with juice
- In a 2 quart baking dish, stir together polenta, water, salt and 1 teaspoon olive oil. Bake at 350 for 50 minutes.
- About 40 minutes after baking, heat remaining olive oil in pan and sauté onions, pepper, mushrooms, and garlic until crisp tender–about 5 minutes.
- Add capers, olives, seasonings and tomatoes. Stir together and cook on low for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove polenta from oven and top dish with tomato sauce. Serve immediately.