These easy delicious burrito bowls are full of veggies and tomato goodness. Quick to the table for a great weeknight meal that the kids will love. Full of fresh ingredients and no need to stop at the local takeout restaurant.
- 1 ¼ cups canned diced tomatoes, with juice (preferably low-sodium)
- 2 ¾ cups brown rice,uncooked
Chili Beef Topping:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil 1 pound ground beef (80/20 blend or leaner), uncooked
- 1 1/2 cups diced white onion, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 ¼ cups canned low sodium tomato sauce
- 2 ½ cups canned diced tomatoes, with juice (preferably low-sodium) divided
- 1/8 cup tomato paste
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Fillings and Toppings:
- 2 ½ cups canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 ¼ cups shredded lettuce
- 2 ½ cups shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
To make the Spanish Rice:
- Place rice and 5 cups water in a large sauce pan over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a low simmer and cover.
- Cook for 45-50 minutes until water is almost absorbed.
- Stir in 1 ¼ cups diced canned tomatoes with juice and stir to combine.
- Cover and continue to cook until all water is absorbed, about 10 additional minutes.
To make the Chili Beef Topping:
- While the rice is cooking, prepare the beef.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the beef to the pan and break up the meat as it cooks and no pink remains (internal temp of 165 degrees F or higher).
- Remove the meat and drain off all fat in the skillet.
- Add the onions to the skillet and cook until onion is translucent, stirring to keep from sticking and browning.
- Return the meat to the pan and add the salt, chili powder and canned tomatoes and stir well to combine.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Set aside.
To make the Homemade Salsa:
- Place 1 ¼ cups diced tomatoes, onions, tomato paste, water, garlic powder, cumin, salt and sugar in a food processor or blender.
- Pulse until almost smooth.
- In a bowl, mix pureed tomato mixture and remaining 1 ¼ cups diced tomatoes until blended.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Place 1 ounce (1/4 cup) cooked beef mixture with ½ cup cooked rice in a bowl.
- Top with ¼ cup black beans, 1/8 cup shredded lettuce and ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese.
- Top with ¼ cup salsa.
Vegetarian Option: Substitute black beans for beef.
NUTRITIONAL ANALYSIS PER SERVING: (1 ounce cooked beef, 2 ounces cooked rice, ¼ cup shredded lettuce, ¼ cup shredded cheese, 2 ounces salsa and 1 ounce black beans) 574 calories, 12.8 g fat, 5.2 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 61 mg cholesterol, 521 mg sodium, 1365 mg potassium, 78.7 g carbohydrates, 11.9 g fiber, 6.4 g sugars, 36.2 g protein (USDA)
Recipe created by Tomato Products Wellness Council