Your family will never know there’s a mouthful of vegetables in every bite of this delicious lasagna dish fresh from the garden with a creamy mixture of cheese and whole wheat noodles. Whether the veggies are from your garden or farmers’ market, it’s hard to find a healthier lasagna recipe that will be a crowd pleaser!
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 pound 4 ounces whole wheat lasagna noodles uncooked
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 ½ cups shredded carrots
- 2 ½ cups spinach leaves
- 1 cup diced onion
- 5 cups low-sodium tomato sauce
- ¼ cup low-sodium tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 ½ cups reduced fat cottage cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Bring a large pot of water (may add salt) to a boil over high heat. Add the lasagna noodles and cook until just tender, about 10-12 minutes or according to manufacturers directions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet and add the onion, shredded carrots and spinach. Cook until vegetables are heated through and onion is translucent. Drain off any excess liquid.
- Place the tomato sauce and tomato paste in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Whisk until fully combined then add in the oregano and granulated garlic. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine cottage cheese, dried parsley and grated Parmesan cheese. Mix well to combine.
- Spread 1 cup of tomato sauce on the bottom of a large lasagna pan. Layer with a single layer of noodles, ¼ of the carrot and spinach mixture, ¼ of the cheese mixture, and another layer of tomato sauce. Continue to create three additional layers ending with a single layer of noodles and remainder of sauce. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over each pan of lasagna and cover with foil.
- Bake in a conventional oven at 375°F for 50 minutes; convection oven at 350°F for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving. Slice into individual servings and serve.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION PER SERVING: 368 calories, 8.9 g fat, 2.9 g saturated fat, 0.0 g trans fat, 13 mg cholesterol, 365 mg sodium, 217 mg potassium, 51.5 g carbohydrates, 9 g fiber, 6.5 g sugar, 20.9 g protein (USDA)
Recipe created by Tomato Products Wellness Council