Here’s how you rethink your plate: a fresh green salad and whole grain pizza all in one meal that you can whip up in 40 minutes. Now that’s quick and delicious eating for even the busiest night of your week! Pair it with my hearty Red Lentil Soup with Root Vegetables for a completely satisfying meal.
Serves 8 (1 slice each)
- One 16-ounce package (454 g) refrigerated whole grain pizza dough, or whole grain pizza dough prepared from a mix
- 1/3 cup (86 g) marinara sauce
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 cup (112 g) shredded plant-based cheese (see Notes)
- 2 cups (62 g) mixed fresh arugula and baby spinach
- 1½ cups (224 g) fresh cherry tomatoes (yellow), halved
- ½ medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 ripe medium avocado, sliced
- ¼ cup (31 g) roasted pistachios
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°f (180°c). Roll out the pizza dough to fit a 14-inch pizza pan or pizza stone. Sprinkle the pan or stone with cornmeal and fit dough on top.
- Spread the marinara sauce onto the dough and sprinkle the oregano and plant-based cheese over it. Place the pan or stone in the oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the crust is golden and firm to the touch.
- At the last minute before serving, remove the crust from the oven and top with the arugula and baby spinach, tomatoes, bell pepper, avocado, and pistachios. The greens will wilt quickly.
- Drizzle with the vinegar and olive oil. Serve immediately.
Note: Omit the plant-based cheese, if desired.
Variation: Substitute other firm greens, such as baby kale or chopped collard greens, for the arugula and baby spinach.
Per Serving: 276 calories, 12 g protein, 36 g carbohydrate, 8 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 8 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 466 mg sodium
Star Nutrients: vitamin C (28% DV), vitamin A (11% DV), vitamin K (19% DV), calcium (15% DV), iron (11% DV)
Recipe from Plant-Powered for Life (The Experiment, 2012) by Sharon Palmer, RDN©