A Hand Crafted Veggie Pizza
- Whole Wheat Crust
- ¾ cup warm water (110 degrees F)
- 1 ½ teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 ½ teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ¾ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon cornmeal
- ½ cup marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded reduced fat cheese
- 1½ cups chopped vegetables (in combination) of your choice (i.e. bell peppers, zucchini, spinach, broccoli, or mushrooms)
- ¼ medium onion, finely chopped
- Optional: Chopped nuts or seeds (i.e. peanuts, cashews, almonds, sesame seeds, chia seeds)
- Season with red or black pepper as desired
- Season with fresh or chopped herbs as desired (i.e. fresh basil, rosemary or cilantro)
- To make the dough:
- In a medium bowl, stir together the water, yeast, and honey. Let stand for ten minutes.
- Stir in the olive oil and flour. Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for ten minutes.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover with a towel, and let it rise in a warm place for about 1 hour.
- Roll out the dough to approximately 14 inches in diameter.
- To top and bake the pizza:
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Place the pizza dough on a pizza stone or baking sheet that has been sprinkled with cornmeal.
- Spread marinara sauce evenly over the crust. Sprinkle evenly with cheese. Top with vegetables, onion, nuts, seeds, spices and herbs as desired.
- Place the pizza in the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the vegetables are crisp-tender.