C R I T I C A L F I N D I N G S
Plasma/Serum Lycopene and Disease Risk
This section critically evaluates the relationship between plasma/ serum lycopene concentrations and cognitive function.
- Data suggest declines in cognitive function with lower plasma lycopene concentrations.
- Area of potential research with increasing evidence supporting oxidative-inflammation relationship with cognitive impairment (in vitro and in vivo animal).
- Prospectively designed clinical trials are warranted.
Summary of studies and outcomes
- Number of studies = 8
- Risk estimates (RE) = 8
- (-) = 7
- N = 1
- (+) = 0
- Risk estimates by Tomato or Lycopene category
- √GT G. Tom =
- √PT P. Tom =
- √FT F. Tom =
- √Lyco Lyco = 7 (-), 1 (N)