Mushroom Chipotle Chili
Mushroom Blendability Recipes Courtesy of the Culinary Institute of America and the Mushroom Council. - See more at: http://mushroominfo.com/mushroom-chipotle-chili/#sthash.DWKcS8IQ.dpuf
- 4 pounds mushroom and meat base
- 3 tablespoons Vegetable oil
- 2 cups Yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon Garlic, minced
- 2 each Poblano Green chilies, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons Jalapeños, seeded and minced
- ⅓ cup Chili powder
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chilies in adobo, minced
- 2 tablespoons ground Cumin
- 2 tablespoons Oregano, dried
- 1×16 oz can crushed Tomato with liquid
- 1x 12 ounce bottle lager beer
- Kosher salt to taste
- Black pepper, freshly ground to taste
- Season the mushroom and meat mixture with salt and pepper as needed.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium to high heat. Add the onions, garlic and chilies to the pan and cook over medium heat, stirring from time to time, until the mixture is tender, about 12 – 15 minutes. Add the herbs chipotle, and spices and sauté for 5 minutes then add the mushroom meat blend and stir to mix well. Add the beer and tomatoes to the pan and bring to a slow simmer. Cover the pot and cook over very low heat or in a 325 degree oven for 1 hour. Check the chili periodically, stirring as needed.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed with more chili powder, salt and pepper.The chili should be very flavorful and the liquid should be greatly reduced and thickened. Serve the chili.