Herb Greek Salad with Tomato Rice
Whisk your taste buds away to a warmer day with this flavorful, plant-based salad. It also makes for great leftovers so you can treat yourself to two days of sweet summertime flavor.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1½ cups water
- 8 oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 15 oz. can garbanzo beans
- 14 oz. can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1 small cucumber, pealed and chopped
- ½ bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- ⅓ cup canned diced tomatoes, drained
- ¼ cup chopped olives
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- 2 Tablespoons fresh basil
- 1 Tablespoon fresh mint
- 1 avocado, cubed
- In a heavy bottomed pan, add rice, water, and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for about 50 minutes.
- Once rice is cooked, allow to cool completely.
- Mix together tomato rice, beans, artichoke hearts, chopped vegetables, and herbs to a large bowl.
- Whisk dressing ingredients together in small bowl.
- Toss salad with dressing and gently mix in avocado before serving.